Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thursday Think 'n' Share 3.7

As I mentioned the first time around, this is a sort of "getting to know you" game that I hope my readers  will join me in playing each week. The short of it is that I pull three random question from one of various decks of The Ungame and answer them. Readers are encouraged to post their own answers either in the comment box or on their own blog (or Facebook page). If you're not doing it in the comment box, do let me know where I can find them, because I'd like to get to know my readers better at the same time they're getting to know me. You can be as serious or as silly as you feel like being on any given day for any particular question.

If you could have been someone in history, whom would you have been?

I guess the version of this question we usually get asked is about meeting someone, because that's the way my mind tends to go with this question. In fact, I'm pretty sure that a lot of the historical figures I'd like to meet I would not want to have been--they had a tendency to die young and/or live unhappy lives. I guess that should make us appreciate better the times we live in, when life expectancy and standard of living are so high, from a historical perspective. At this precise moment, with A Dance With Dragons sitting near me waiting to be cracked, I might like to be George R.R. Martin, just to know how the series will end, but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to be somebody (but hey, he's also a pretty brilliant, successful guy too, and those aren't bad reasons, right?).

When you feel sad, what is the best thing someone can do for you?

I guess that depends on the kind of sadness it is: sometimes I would want someone to listen, sometimes I would want to be left alone, sometimes I would just want someone to be there, available, but not necessarily needing to say or do anything. Doesn't it depend on the source of the sadness, too? I guess all three of those things I listed are assuming that I've got something to be sad about, but if I'm blowing something out of proportion, say, then maybe what I need is someone to pull me up and distract me, take me out and do something to get my mind out of the rut it's gotten itself into.

If you could have a motto or saying in every home in the world, what would it be?

How about "Live and Let Live"? We could do with a little more acceptance of others, so if we're going to impose one motto on everyone, I guess that would do. "Carpe diem" is pretty good advice for everyone as well, which of course is why it's the theme of so many poems, movies, etc. Or maybe we could borrow from Thoreau and encourage everyone to "Live Deliberately." We're all human, so we all need to be reminded of the same pitfalls, no?

Well, what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment