Monday, June 17, 2013

Summer Training Regimen: Days 6-8

Day 6--otherwise known as Saturday--was intended as a rest day, but I almost ruined that plan by going for a run. Don't worry folks: I managed to stop myself!

Day 7, I almost did it again, but instead I picked up two of these babies that we bought from friends who are moving to NYC:






Moving these suckers was just a bit of a workout, which I compensated for with some German Gatorade--if you're not familiar with this magical exercise-enhancing elixir, it's a combination of water, hops, and some grain or another that uses a natural fermentation process to make it more delicious and nutritious. It's basically the beverage equivalent of yogurt or sauerkraut in terms of healthfulness, I'm pretty sure. Speaking of yogurt, we had some of that too--frozen, with workout-enhancing, rapidly-digesting carbohydrates, as well as peanut butter, cake batter, cookie dough, and marshmallow.

Okay, so I took advantage of Father's Day for all it was worth as an excuse to eat bread and cheese and ice cream and beer.

Today, Day 8, got me back on track (I say that as if I hadn't planned for my weekend to be basically what it was!) with a body-weight workout: today, I simplified it a bit but added sets, so it looked like this:

5 sets of 5 reps of one-legged squats
5 sets of 5 reps of something-like-one-armed-push-ups (I did use the other arm to provide stability and take a little of the weight off)
3 sets of Australian pull-ups to failure
3 sets of push-ups to failure
3 sets of reverse crunches (holy cow! it's an ab exercise sighting!)

Although it might be a stretch to count it as a workout, I did also get in some time on the tennis court this morning while our 3-year-old was at her tennis "lesson" (I've said it before and I'll say it again: any lessons at this age--tennis, ballet, pole dancing--are basically about developing physical coordination and the ability to listen to directions and focus a little bit, with a little bit of excitement also generated for the nominal activity). I got in a half hour to forty minutes of much-needed work on my serve. I've always said that the only excuse for a bad serve in tennis or poor free-throw shooting in basketball is lack of practice. And right now, I'm pretty lousy at both.

2 comments:

  1. Man, talk about weightlifting! I like the underneath drawers, using what is usually wasted space. Are yours white?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours are white, or will be when we get them all cleaned up. It's got the drawers for storage, but then you can also pull the whole underneath out and put a second mattress on top of that, so you have two twin-sized next to each other. With two of those, plus another twin-sized bed, plus a sleeper-sofa and our own bed, we've got plenty of room for guests!

    ReplyDelete