Saturday, July 23, 2011

Food Friday: Kafta Casserole

In a mad rush to make just that much more space in our freezer(s) to receive a split side of beef and ten chickens, I decided that I needed to use some packs of hamburger. I've also been experimenting with the so-called "Slow Carb Diet," though I've been better at adhering to the binge day than to the other days. In brief, though, the Slow-Carb Diet would mean a daily diet made up only of meats, legumes, and vegetables. Like I said, I haven't really been adhering to it, but I've been using it as a sort of compass. That and a couple internet searches comprised the inspiration for this recipe. I would like to tinker further with some parts of this recipe, but it makes an awful lot, so I'll probably have to wait on that.


This is pretty good as is, but even better with some Tzatziki, which you should prepare in advance so the flavors have time to blend.

2 onions, chopped
2 1/2 lbs lean, grass-fed hamburger
3 cloves garlic
2 cups prepared pinto beans
10 oz frozen (or fresh) spinach
1 zucchini, chopped into smallish pieces
1 squash, chopped into smallish pieces
2 bell peppers of various colors
1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet, cook the onions, hamburger, and garlic, adding the last when the rest is just about finished. Add the beans and the spinach (you can add it still frozen). Add the various vegetables (fell free to add others!) and cook 5-10 minutes, until the veggies are tender. Add all seasonings, cook just a bit longer. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.


As for changes, I would add more of all the spices, maybe up the measures to 3/4 tsp each or even double them. I would go ahead and add more vegetables and more beans as well. Even as it is, you can feed a small army--presuming the army has a taste for food inspired by Middle Eastern cuisine--or have quite a few leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. Read that Slow Carb link -- had never heard of that diet. Sounds intriguing -- and actually really difficult. Can't imagine going without fruit so much.

    ReplyDelete