Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Mixed day in the kitchen

It’s not every day you get hot oil splashed on your face, but here we are. 

The closest we got to drama at lunch was my sick-at-home teen having her request for Panera denied. I had zero interest in paying for DoorDash or driving there, but I was able to surprise her with an alternative: chicken soup from a can and homemade biscuits. 

Although I love a good yeast bread, it’s good to have quicker alternatives in your recipe box. The biscuits were a big hit, not to mention cheap and easy. 

As dinner came around, I was short on ideas but cane up with: Breakfast For Dinner: Fancy Edition. The fancy part being crepes. 

I cooked bacon in the oven. Baked bacon has been a go-to for me any time I need to make bacon for a crowd. It’s hands off and relatively hard to mess up (just don’t let it go too long!). 

As I was finishing up the crepes, I caught a whiff of burning bacon. It wasn’t burnt, but it was done. I grabbed an oven mitt, but as I pulled it out the grease popped and splattered. “My eyes!” I thought as pain exploded on my face, shutting them tightly and jerking back. 

In the end I was okay, but have a pretty good dime-sized burn on my forehead right above and between my eyes, plus some smaller burns on my face and one hand. And there was a mess of bacon grease on our floor too. I’ve never had anything like that happen in all the years I’ve cooked bacon in the oven or on the stove. 

But the crepes were great, so there’s that. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're okay! I had a crepe for lunch and it was pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! The bacon fought back - I'm glad you won, but sorry you got wounded. I'm glad the crepes helped.

    ReplyDelete