Saturday, December 10, 2011

Introduction for Holidailies

On the first day of Holidailies, I already had other things to write about, so my introduction got put off until today, when the well of inspiration was a little less wet.

I started blogging 7 years ago, sometimes blogging daily for years at a time. Since getting married three and a half years ago and having a child two years ago, I haven't been nearly as diligent about blogging. I'm an educator--once upon a time, I taught high school English and music, but now I work in residential life at a boarding high school. Sometimes, I really miss the classroom, but there's a satisfaction that comes from the sort of "teaching without a classroom" that I do in residential life.

My wife and I have moved quite a bit: our families live in Ohio, but we met in western Pennsylvania, then moved to New England (I spent two years in Providence, RI; my wife spent a year in western Massachusetts and a year in Providence), then we went back to PA for a year and now we're settling into Indiana with no intentions of going anywhere else any time soon. But that doesn't mean we've stopped moving--in fact, we'll be moving from the apartment we're currently in to another house before Christmas and then in another year or so we're planning to move into our dream house--we own 9.5 acres and we're currently working with an architect to design the home that will sit on it. In the meantime, though, we need the additional space because we've got another daughter on the way in April.

I'm an avid reader, reading quite a bit of non-fiction and fantasy, with some literary fiction and science fiction thrown in for good measure. I love cooking and I'm a fitness nut. I dabble in gardening and want to dabble more, and eventually I'd like to dabble in livestock: we'd like to have a little homestead and raise some of our own food.

My blog doesn't have a particular theme--it's about whatever I'm interested in, which covers a broad range of topics. I've written about my daily life as a husband and father, I've written about education, food, fitness, philosophy, politics, board games--the list goes on and on. As I said, I write about things that interest me, and I hope that readers will find these things interesting too.

I think this is my fifth year of Holidailies now--in the past, it's been a great way to connect with other bloggers and in recent years when blogging has been more fitful, it's been a good motivation.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the dream house plan is moving along! I look forward to reading more about it.

    ReplyDelete