Friday, June 10, 2011

Food Friday: Pulled Beef

I've found what is quite possibly a new favorite way to cook a roast (or two): Pulled Beef. I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to think "pulled pork" before pulled beef, but it's really an ideal cooking method, especially for the leaner grass-fed beef that we prefer--low heat for several (in this case, six) hours. I like the fact that we can make up a bunch and save it for later, eating it either has sandwiches or in all its naked, beefy gloriousness. It's also nice that the recipe is relatively light on sugar or fat.

I started mine this morning before I left for our last day of meetings before summer starts, and it just came out a half hour ago, so I've sampled it and made sure that it's fit to publish. I've made a few modifications from the original, so I'll post my version here (I'm sure the recipe linked above would also be very good if I would just stick to what it says):

4 lb roast (bone-in or otherwise--a 6-lb roast would also be fine) or two 2-lb roasts
1 med onion, chopped
3/4 c. ketchup (may substitute catsup)
3 T vinegar (I like red wine vinegar, but cider vinegar or plain old white vinegar would all be fine)
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 c. water

Mix all ingredients. except the roast. Pour a bit of the mixture into the bottom of the pan, add the roast, and cover with remainder of mixture. For my part, I had two 2-lb roasts and put some of the sauce between them and the rest over the top. Cook at 300F for 6 hours (or more). When done, remove any bones and obvious chunks of fat. Use two forks to pull apart the beef, mixing with the sauce.
_____________
You know what I really need? Great recipes for using cubed steak. It's my least favorite cut, so naturally it's the thing I have the most of in my freezer right now, barring (perhaps) hamburger.Ideas, dear readers?

No comments:

Post a Comment