Saturday, December 7, 2019

It's been a week

Not the easiest week around here.

Monday morning around 1:00, our 9-year-old made a pilgrimage from her bedroom to the bathroom, leaving vomitus at various points along the way. And given that she'd eaten ramen noodles early, it had quite an odor as well as fantastic texture. As the guy who cleaned it up, I know what I'm talking about here. I was up for about an hour with her, and if that wasn't enough, our fur child decided she needed me at 5:00, an hour before the alarm was due to go off. So yeah, good way to start the week.

Then again... I don't normally get the privilege of working from home (still the new guy), but for things like staying home with my sick child, it's allowed. And even though I was pretty tired, working from home was pretty excellent. I can't wait until that's a regular thing.

Then, Thursday evening, I started getting the vague sense that I might have started coming down with whatever she had. I skipped dinner and went to bed early, which got me a good 45 minutes of sleep before my kids starting actively resisting my wife's attempts to put them to bed. And when I did get back to sleep, it only lasted so long (roughly the 4-6 hours the Tylenol bottle advertised). I woke around midnight feeling achy and slightly nauseous, though what I could possibly puke up, I had no idea. I took some more pills, hoping to get comfortable enough to fall asleep again, then spent the next hour shifting positions trying to 1) fall asleep and 2) not puke. I won't leave you in suspense: at the end of that hour (or so), I fell asleep.

Thank goodness for small wins.

Then on Saturday, my wife and I tried to get back on schedule with our running. We're training for a half marathon in February, and we were doing really well until it got cold and we got busy. One or the other we could handle, but we've struggled to get up at 5 am for a run the past several weeks. Or is it months now? Anyway, it's been a while since we had a real routine going. But we got up to go today, and then less than a mile into it, my wife rolled her ankle on one or more acorns and went down. I managed to get a little bit longer run in--by running home to get the car and come back for her--but she's been limping around on crutches ever since, and her ankle has swollen up like she's hiding a tennis ball under her skin.

Like I said, it's been a week.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, stomach bugs are no fun at all. Hope your wife's ankle heels quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out it's a fracture, 4-6 weeks. Not fun for anyone!

      Delete