Friday, June 17, 2011

Food Friday: Cubed Steak Fajitas

I put out a call recently for recipes to help me use some of the cuts of meat in our freezer whose usage doesn't come naturally to me. Over on Facebook, my friend Liz offered a recipe that I modified to make Cubed Steak Fajitas. They turned out pretty well, even if I did feel like I was basically throwing ingredients at a food processor to see what would stick. These numbers no doubt bear only a vague resemblance to what I actually used.

1 pkg cubed steak
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. tequila
2 T lime juice
handful of cilantro
handful of parsley
3 cloves garlic
1 T. chilis in adobo sauce
a little olive oil
2 onions, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
tortillas, preferably whole-grain, low-carb
avocado slices or guacamole (optional)
yogurt or sour cream (optional)
salsa (optional)

Slice the steak very thinly. In a food processor, combine next 7 ingredients, and blend. Pour this over the meat, mix, and let marinade for several hours. When ready, saute the onions and peppers on med. heat until softened. On high heat, stir fry the steak. Pile the meat and veggies into warm tortilla shells, add optional ingredients (note: plain, non-fat yogurt makes a great low-fat substitute for sour cream. Avocado is just plain yummy, and salsa is closer to a necessity than an option. Cheese, tomatoes, even cabbage could apparently be added to this--go nuts with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment