Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thursday Think 'n' Share 3.2

As I mentioned the first time around, this is a sort of "getting to know you" game that I hope my readers  will join me in playing each week. The short of it is that I pull three random question from one of various decks of The Ungame and answer them. Readers are encouraged to post their own answers either in the comment box or on their own blog (or Facebook page). If you're not doing it in the comment box, do let me know where I can find them, because I'd like to get to know my readers better at the same time they're getting to know me. You can be as serious or as silly as you feel like being on any given day for any particular question.

How are you affected by the news as reported in radio, tv, and in the newspapers?

I've hardly been paying attention to any news, lately. It's sort of an experiment, and I haven't really felt like I'm missing out yet. I used to enjoy getting the news and perspectives offered by certain NPR programs, because I felt like a knowledgeable, thoughtful citizen, but I'm just as happy--and have just as much effect--not knowing anything unless it's important enough that people are talking about it in daily life.

And although I wouldn't claim that it's my source for news, I do enjoy catching episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, which don't so much report on the news of the day so much as they report on the reporting of the news. It fosters a certain cynicism about how news is reported, because it seems so often reported poorly and with a narrowly limited perspective.

How do you feel about guns?

Sun's out, guns out.

How do you feel about the way you spend your day?

While it would be nice to work less (especially now at this time of year when the avalanche has just about reached full speed at the bottom of the mountain), I feel overall like I have found something like a decent balance.

Typical day looks like this: up at 5:30 to exercise, walk to work around 8. Spend my day dealing with students and teachers in various settings. The word day is flexible enough that I can sometime run errands, pick up a workout I missed, run home, or do other things as needed. Most days, I have lunch with Lauren, either at the dining hall or at our home. I see our daughter briefly a time or two during the day and then usually spend a half hour to an hour alone with her, depending on whether it's a sports season that I'm coaching. Sometimes I have evening duties for my job, most of the time not. We tend to fall asleep by 9 or 10 o'clock if we're lucky (we haven't been lucky this week).

So yeah. I spend time every day exercising, I enjoy my work, I have time to cook most days and get to see my family both during the day and after work, though not always as much as we would like. There's room for improvement, but I'm in the ballpark.


I'll have to see how I do when summer comes and I have a lot more discretionary time.

Well--how about you?

1 comment:

  1. News: we've always subscribed to a daily newspaper, but it's less detailed and delivered later every year, and we're thinking about getting all our news online when this subscription runs out.
    Guns: an important constitutional right, but I'm not going to own one.
    The way I spend my day: I could use more day in my day.

    ReplyDelete